A few days ago I posted a quick-start guide for breakfast. One of the many great things about the Fat-Burning Machine plan is you eat real food. The goal is to establish eating patterns that will last a lifetime. No more yo-yo weight. It is easy to lose weight and keep it off with a few basic principles. Don’t worry about learning the principles now, just get started.
In this column, you will find a basic lunch guide. Mix and match as you please:
Fat Burning Machine Lunch
|Main Course Choices
Choose One Option
|Added Side Dish Options
Choose One or None
|Added Fat Options
Choose One or None
|Added Carbohydrate Options
Choose One or None
– Select thin sliced bread or small tortilla wraps. Some examples of choices include Joseph’s High Fiber Plus Pita Pockets, Josephs’s Low Carb Tortilla, Udi’s Gluten-Free Millet-Chia Bread, Sara Lee 45 Calories & Delightful 100% Multi-Grain and Thin Slim Breads to name a few. You can also do an open-faced sandwich – that is, use only one slice of bread.
– Select 4-6 ounces of chicken, turkey, salmon, tuna, ham or beef. (Option is to limit ham and beef to once per week.)
– Any amount of mustard is okay.
– Unlimited vegetables for toppings (spinach, onion, dill pickles)
|Unlimited raw vegetables are okay with any of the selections. Good choices include sliced bell peppers, sweet pea pods, carrots, celery, cauliflower, cucumber and broccoli.
|1/2 avocado OR one slice of cheese
Large mixed greens or spinach salad.
– Add 4-6 ounces of turkey, chicken, grilled fish, ham or beef. (Option is it limit ham and beef to once per week.)
|1-2 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette dressing or Italian dressing
|1/2 cup of cooked quinoa or brown rice. OR, one slice of bread.
Tips for Lunch Success
- Get creative! If you mix it up and make food look appealing, even a typically boring sandwich can be something special.
- Select fresh prepared or roasted meats as often as possible.
- When setting yourself up for success as a Fat-Burning Machine, completely eliminate items with added sugar such as ketchup, tartar sauce, etc. Some of you may be able to add these items back into your diet in limited quantities – while others feel best keeping these items out of their menu.
- Avoid eating until you feel stuffed. Aim to have a rough measure of quantity. For example, the palm of a small person’s hand is roughly 3 ounces of meat. The palm of a large person’s hand is around 6 ounces of meat. For now, estimate protein portion by the size of your hand. An 8-ounce coffee cup holds approximately one cup. Use this visual to estimate dry or liquid quantities. Your thumb is roughly 1 to 1-1/2 tablespoons. Don’t get too hung up on measurements, but do pay attention to taking a serving of something for yourself – rather than leaving an open container of any food sitting next to you.
- Be self-aware in social lunch situations. Eat to please yourself and no one else. You control your own success.
- In social situations, when possible, plan what you are going to order before arriving at the restaurant.
- Move unlimited chip and bread bowls away from you and towards someone else or ask the server not to bring them.
- Alcohol can enter the bloodstream in just 20 minutes. The biggest problem it presents is inhibiting good decision-making. That is, bad food choices become easy after consuming alcohol. Additionally fat burning and metabolism is affected for 48 to 72 hours after alcohol consumption. Alcohol turns off fat burning. Whether you chose to drink at lunch or dinner is a personal choice. Multiple days per week of alcohol consumption obviously destroys your overall ability to be a fat burner. Is this what you want?