Everything you learned about diet and weight loss might just be wrong. In fact, it could be keeping you fat, fatigued and frustrated. These 11 tips will help you flip your internal switch from fat-storing to Fat-Burning and help you break through the weight loss barriers caused by insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome.
11 Fat-Burning Tips
1. Slow down. Killer workouts don’t burn fat. Sustained intensity workouts, popular in most gyms today, will burn your easily available sugars, and not your stored fat. The result can be uncontrollable hunger — within hours — and a complete collapse of willpower leading to poor eating choices. Slow down and workout smarter by incorporating short bursts of increased intensity followed by slower, steady paced recovery. These Miracle Intervals will flip your switch from Fat-Storing to Fat-Burning.
2. Mix it up. The long, slow, daily workout is not the way to go either. You body gets used to this level of exertion quickly and it becomes your new normal. To flip the switch, see the advice in point number one.
3. Workout before breakfast. Working out on an empty stomach enhances fat burning. Use this strategy at least once a week, as a beginner.
4. Eat fat to burn fat. The myth about fat-free diets being the healthiest for your heart, have been debunked. The science is in and consuming good fat is good for you. Adding olive oil, avocado, nuts and even butter to your diet will increase satiety and keep your Fat-Burning switch turned on.
5. Blast past the resistance. Miracle Intervals improve insulin resistance more than a steady workout pace. Short bouts of speed play that are 10 to 45 seconds long, followed by generous recovery time that varies in duration help your body burn fat, and use available insulin from your food.
6. Put down the alcohol. We wish there was an easy way to say this but there’s not, so let’s rip off the bandage. Can you have an alcoholic beverage every now and then? Sure. Will it flip your Fat-Burning switch off? Yup. You’re a grownup. You deserve to know the truth so you can make informed choices. Just know, consuming alcohol affects your Fat-Burning and metabolism for 24 to 48 hours.
7. Step away from the power bar. Those high-carbohydrate, high-sugar protein replacement bars are really candy bars. Their easily available sugars are the first ones the body will access for fuel during your workout. That means your workout doesn’t touch that stored fat you were hoping to hit. Put the bar down and back away, and review tip number three.
8. Ditch the liquid sugar bombs. Fruit smoothies are sugar bombs just waiting to derail your Fat-Burning ability. Think about it. A smoothie with 1 medium banana, 1 cup of strawberries, and maybe 1 cup of watermelon and ½ cup of mango blended with shaved ice sounds delicious but it packs a whopping 43 grams of sugar or let us put it another way: 10.75 teaspoons! Would you eat 10.75 teaspoons of sugar at any time of the day? No. Sugar bombs cause fat storage – period. And if you’re insulin resistant, this is a recipe for disaster. Fruit is a very limited carbohydrate on the Fat-Burning Machine diet, and should only be consumed at breakfast or lunch.
9. Energy drinks build fat and zap energy. Look, sugar is addicting. Add the caffeine and sugar in some popular energy drinks and you’re looking at somewhere north of the equivalent of 10 teaspoons of caffeinated sugary liquid. You won’t get the energy you desire. You’ll get a quick high, an energy crash and uncontrollable cravings for more sugar, which will be stored as fat. Drink water and skip the energy drinks.
10. Be prepared. The Boy Scouts had it right. When the food in your house supports the Fat-Burning you desire, you’ll eat better, avoid temptation and succeed in your weight loss goals. When you spend the whole day circling the fridge, trying to stop yourself from eating those fudge brownies, you’re setting yourself up for failure.
11. Support yourself. Give yourself the gift of information, motivation and support. Join our Facebook page for daily tips and to connect with others who are changing their health profile just like you. And arm yourself with recipes, food lists, menu plans and more by ordering your own copy of Fat-Burning Machine today.
Whether you have 10 pounds to lose or 100 pounds, these 11 tips will help train your body to burn fat rather than store it. You’ll sleep better, have more energy and endurance, your skin will glow and you’ll drop the excess weight that has been holding you back from doing the things you love. Who knows? Maybe you’ll even become an IronMan like Mike Berland.